Team work sessions at Berkeley take place on the 2nd and 3rd floors of O'Brien hall on the UC Berkeley campus.
- It is highly recommended for each team to come to O'Brien for a work session because we have tools, kit extension parts, and helpful staff that aren't available at your school.
- Worksessions run from 4-8 PM Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and 10AM-6PM Saturday and Sunday.
- Sign-up for work sessions at least 24 hours in advance from the link here.
- For questions regarding worksessions, please make a post on the forums with the subject "Worksession Questions" and be sure to identify your team.
Safety first! Your first priority should be to make sure you and everyone around you is working safely. If you are not positive that what you are doing is safe, feel free to ask. Rules:
- Keep an eye on one another! You will almost always be able to spot something dangerous before we can.
- Your teacher or at least one mentor must be present with your team at every work session, or we cannot let you in to work.
- You should not use sharp tools within an arm's reach of another individual. People within 4 feet of you should be aware of your use of the tool.
- No Horsing around. We reserve the right to tell any student to leave for doing anything we consider unsafe.
- No more than 8 teams are allowed in O'Brien hall, and no more than 4 per floor. If you are the fifth team, make sure to let staff know so they can accommodate you. If you are the ninth team, you cannot be allowed inside the building. To do otherwise would be a fire hazard.
- If any injury occurs alert, alert the current staff member immediately so they can take care of the situation.
- You must be wearing safety glasses at ALL TIMES, have long hair pulled back into a pony tail, have all jewelry removed (watches, rings, bracelets), and have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HANGING from their upper torso (draw-strings, ear buds).
- No open-toed shoes, long sleeves (forearms must be bare), shorts, skirts, or dresses are allowed.
- You must be wearing your name tag in an obvious place but not in a way that will violate the above rules (clipped to your shirt and not attached to your lanyard is the best way to do this.
- If you find yourself violating this dress code, let us know so we can do our best to accommodate you .
Sign up for work sessions by going to our online scheduling system. Anyone from the team (students, teachers, mentors) can sign up for a work session on behalf of your team. You must reserve a spot at least 24 hours in advance, and you cannot make reservations more than a week in advance. We can support a maximum of 4 teams on weekdays, and 8 teams on weekends.
Attending work sessions
You must have your badge to participate in a work session! ALWAYS sign in when you come in for work session.
A PiE staff member will scan your badge to check you into the work session.
Tools may be checked out to you while you are working. To check out the tool, ask the PiE staff on duty for the tool you want. The staff member will then check out the tool to you by scanning your badge and the tool. You are responsible for the tool once you check it out, and your team will be charged accordingly for lost or intentionally damaged tools. Anyone on your team can return the tool after your team is finished with it. Since other teams may also want to use the same tools, try to return checked-out tools when you are not using them.
Kit Extension Purchase
You can purchase kit extension during worksessions. Make sure to bring a badge and ask a PiE staff on duty for the piece you want. The staff member will then make the purchase for your team and remind you of how many Panda Points your team still has. You are allowed to return kit parts as long as they are not damaged and get your Panda Points back.